Agile Project Manager (m/f)
Springer Nature is a major new force in scientific, scholarly, professional and educational publishing. By using its combined expertise, scale and the reach of our brands, the company aims to grow and innovate in order to better serve academic researchers, students, teachers, institutions, professionals and the wider public, by helping them discover more. Springer Nature was created through the combination of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media in May 2015. This strategic merger brought together these dynamic publishing houses with more than 150 years of history behind them, as well as complementary geographic footprints and brand portfolios, a track record of creativity and innovation, and a shared vision to advance knowledge and learning around the world. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of EURO 1.5 billion.
At Springer Nature, it's the PM who makes it all hang together. Building top-notch, ingeniously simple products is difficult and our PMs are the ones who know how to harness the talents of the amazing people in their team to make that happen.
The way we do business
We build our software incrementally, iteratively, and continuously, so you'll be able to see new work go live to over four million visitors around the globe every week. Our flavour of agile has been heavily influenced by XP and Kanban, and if something isn't working, we change it.
Our work delivers value to both the business and our customers, our teams are cross-discipline: business analysts and the user experience team work with stakeholders to coordinate research and understand requirements, whilst our frontend developers and software engineers pair with quality analysts to develop the most robust solutions, and our platform engineers work across the organisation to ensure our infrastructure never lets us down.
We generally follow a mix of agile and lean practices with an overall philosophy towards continuous delivery. We'll rely on each and everyone´s expertise to adapt and improve these processes to serve the team, project and company as best fits their current contexts.
Although we don't face the same level of stress you'd find in most projects around scope, schedule and cost, keeping the project on track is still important to us and wherever possible we'll keep projects small, fast and healthy.
Using your combination of traditional and agile PM skills you'll be leading one of our co-located cross-functional teams to continuously deliver for our portfolio of projects and products.
We'll rely on your strong leadership skills to keep the team motivated, excited and focused on clear value-driven goals, product quality, and frequent delivery and engaging with customers and users to maximise the benefits we can deliver to them. You'll ensure the team are able to reach sensible decisions quickly and effectively with minimal stress and know when to step in and when to step back.
You'll sustain our culture of continuous improvement both from a process and technical perspective ensuring that working software is delivered frequently, engineering quality is upheld, customer issues are addressed quickly, communication and collaboration is effective and the team are clear at all times what's going on, what's important and what needs to be done.
On a day-to-day basis you'll act as facilitator to the team, scheduling and supporting stand-ups, iteration reviews, retrospectives and planning activities. You'll collaborate with various stakeholders to report regularly and openly on the status of your projects and people to address needs and issues rapidly whilst helping us all learn, share and improve how to run our projects better every day.
You´ll be responsible for...
- Working with the Product Owner, UX, BA and Tech Lead to create clear user-focussed goals and aligning the team around them
- Fostering team spirit and collaboration and developing a high performing, empowered team with a clear purpose
- Planning and delivering software that is of high quality and valuable to our customers
- Providing support and input to all aspects of the product lifecycle - from product definition, technical decisions and user experience through to marketing and sales
- Coaching the team on agile and lean principles if needed
- You have significant industry experience in a leadership role on a variety of software projects.
- You must have prior experience working on agile projects, or a very strong demonstrable understanding of Agile Project Management.
- Even if you've not worked in a hands-on technical role in a previous life you can hold your own in technical discussions with a team and clearly communicate the situation.
- You've run at least 3 projects or release cycles as a Project Manager/Scrum Master, preferably with a small co-located team.
- You've got a great track-record of successful projects (and a corresponding collection of lessons that you've learnt from them).
- You can give us a long list of improvements that you've been responsible for in the way your current team works.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Varied and interesting tasks
- An excellent working environment with flat hierarchies
- A good work life balance with fair working hours + a generous and flexible vacation package
- Discounted public transport
- Discounted book prices
- An excellent on-site cafeteria
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Science + Business Media Deutschland GmbH, Berlin
Excited by the prospect of joining us?
We are looking forward to your online-application . Please upload a CV and cover letter in English, including your salary expectations and current notice period.
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at or . We look forward to hearing from you!