Project Manager Marker Assisted Breeding
SIRE Life Sciences® is the market leader in life science recruitment. We believe the recruitment market needs to gear up in technology and continues innovation. We like technology, in a life science market driven on science, we couldn’t stay behind; we drive Recruitment Science. Investing a majority of our turnover in technology enables us to use unique Resource Technologies. By using highly advanced algorithms, we enable our team of Resource & Data Strategists© to maintain the most advanced, detailed and complete Life Sciences network in Europe. This big data enables us to work Reverse Recruitment©: we first analyze the market in-depth before we go out to the market. Because we analyze the whole market, we can compare facts and data. This enables us to do Facts & Big Data Recruitment©, making sure we, or better yet, you find the right career!
Our client is a professional Agriculture organization, based in Netherlands.
My client is a well-known multinational specialised in Vegetable Seeds and among the most successful in the market. Due to structural growth and very ambitious plans toward the future, an environment is present where the sky is the limit. Growth opportunities are all around and freedom to influence strategy and initiate on new projects is also characteristic of the environment.
The new Project Manager Marker Assisted Breeding - Pepper will represent Marker Assisted Breeding in the R&D pepper coordination team and is asked to set up and lead integrated breeding projects. The applying of molecular biology technologies into breeding programs is the key. When you enjoy leading multi-disciplinary teams (e.g. breeders, pre-breeders, bioinformaticians, phytopathologists) to work on successful breeding programs for my client, this position is both challenging and rewarding!
- Initiate, lead and execute integrated breeding projects or multidisciplinary programs aimed at the innovation of the breeding processes and at contributing to the development of molecular methods.
- Design, plan and implement Marker Assisted Breeding projects in pepper in close interaction with the breeders and pre-breeders.
- In close interaction with the pre-breeders develop a plan to identify unique genetic variation to further exploit natural genetic resources.
- Share knowledge and motivate the breeders to apply new ideas and techniques in their breeding program to increase innovation rate, breeding efficiency and the annual genetic gain.
- Initiate QTL mapping and advanced marker assisted selection projects.
- Be the contact person with universities, institutes and third party companies to keep updated with the latest developments in population design and to get access to specific algorithms and software tools.
- Work closely with the other MAB scientists to identify and prioritize opportunities to change the paradigm in MAB and to enable marker assisted selection to improve polygenic traits.
- PhD in Genetics or related fields within the Life Sciences
- Experience in & expert knowledge of Plant Genetics and Molecular Markers
- Experience in applied plant breeding research
- Excellent command of statistical methods in plant breeding/genetics
- Strong in project management - proven track record in interdisciplinary project management
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills - ability to convince people
- Excellent English language proficiency
Are you interested and do want to apply for this role, please fill out your application via the apply button below and contact Laura Mendel.